Sunday, August 14, 2005

Principles To Combat Corruption In African Countries

We, Ministers and representatives of Government, the list of which is annexed hereto, having met under the auspices of the Global Coalition for Africa in Washington DC on February 23, 1999, .... So goes the statement from the Ministers and Government representatives that drew a 25 point code or principles. The irony of it is, I did not see this document and had not done any research on corruption in Africa other than what I read regularly in the news and my own experience and intuition in how things are done in developing countries. I would like others to make comments about the similarity or differences between these principles and COESA. I am just a layman, an African frustrated by the events in the continent and I was just pouring my heart out to anyone that can listen and read. As they say, "all roads lead to Rome"; I just want to see some teeth and "tough love" not only in eliminating corruption but in promoting democracy and the rule of law, which I thinks are pre-conditions to economic growth and development. Please click on the link above and read the Principles.

No comments: